$1.2 Million in Grants for Two Area Schools
Two Chattanooga-area schools will receive more than a million dollars in grant money.
Tennessee Gov. Bill Haslam announced Friday a total of $1,290,786 in workforce development grants for Chattanooga State Community College and the Tennessee College of Applied Technology-Chattanooga.
Chattanooga State received a total grant award of $960,550 to fund equipment for a new nuclear power plant simulation lab and an expansion of its advanced mechatronics program. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, the employment of nuclear technicians is expected to grow by 14 percent from 2010-2020.
TCAT-Chattanooga received a total grant award of $330,236 to fund necessary equipment to become a certified Snap-on institution in an additional five areas – diagnostic certification, diesel certification, undercar certification, torque certification and tool control systems certification. Graduates of the program at TCAT-Chattanooga can become employees of a variety of area companies such as Volkswagen, Peterbilt, McKee Foods, Nichols Marine and more.
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Henry County family of 8 undergoing rabies treatments
- 1 arrested, others sought after gunfire at Ga. Army base
- Judge: No juror misconduct in Ga. peanut trial convictions
- Judge delays sentencing for Ala woman in daughter's slaying
- Guns, training gun found where police say sheriff shot woman
- Dredging of Savannah harbor won't start until December
- Third Ga. man pleads guilty in anti-government militia plot
- Thunderstorms, high winds expected in north, central Ga.
- Man fatally shot by central Ga. sheriff's deputy
- Phillip Lucas appointed AP reporter in Birmingham, Alabama
- US economy likely shrank in 1st quarter
- Arraignment for woman accused of killing fiance on Hudson
- Timeline of the career of ex-US House Speaker Dennis Hastert
- Suge Knight returns to court to try to dismiss murder case
- Protesters occupying church for 11 years pray for reprieve
- Latest on flooding: Body pulled from Houston Ship Channel
- At least 20 years in prison awaits Silk Road founder
- Manhunt underway in Kansas after officer shot in head
- USS Arizona Memorial dock repairs expected to take a week
- 1st tropical storm of Pacific season strengthens off Mexico
- Britain's Cameron in Poland in search for support on reform
- China destroys more than 660 tons of smuggled ivory
- Muhammadu Buhari takes over a nation in crisis
- Thailand says agrees to US flights to search for boat people
HYDERABAD, India (AP) -- Dizzying temperatures have killed hundreds more Indians, driving the death toll from a weeks-long heat wave to at least 1,826.
- Ex-Guatemala vice president's properties raided amid scandal
- Volcano erupts on southern Japanese island
- Thai official warns of 'alarming level' of boat people
- Asian nations meet to discuss Rohingya migrant crisis
- THE LATEST: US will vote for Prince Ali in FIFA election
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the YearVote now for Educator Of The Year!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!