Tonight: Evening t-showers, otherwise cloudy and muggy with a low near 70.
Wednesday: ... More...
$1.2 Million in Grants for Two Area Schools
Two Chattanooga-area schools will receive more than a million dollars in grant money.
Tennessee Gov. Bill Haslam announced Friday a total of $1,290,786 in workforce development grants for Chattanooga State Community College and the Tennessee College of Applied Technology-Chattanooga.
Chattanooga State received a total grant award of $960,550 to fund equipment for a new nuclear power plant simulation lab and an expansion of its advanced mechatronics program. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, the employment of nuclear technicians is expected to grow by 14 percent from 2010-2020.
TCAT-Chattanooga received a total grant award of $330,236 to fund necessary equipment to become a certified Snap-on institution in an additional five areas – diagnostic certification, diesel certification, undercar certification, torque certification and tool control systems certification. Graduates of the program at TCAT-Chattanooga can become employees of a variety of area companies such as Volkswagen, Peterbilt, McKee Foods, Nichols Marine and more.
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Police: Resident fights robbery suspects; 1 shot
- Man accused in officer death to be tried in Athens
- Seaplane pilots want to land planes on Lake Lanier
- Authorities identify pregnant woman killed by car
- 2 Fantasy 5 players win $96,813.93 jackpots
- Tropical depression moving westward in Atlantic
- GOP voters in Ga. to decide Senate nominee
- Primary runoff for Ga. schools post, Congress
- 2 Ga. schools recognized for environmental work
- Tropical depression forms in central Atlantic
- Md. parents allegedly locked up autistic twin sons
- US job-training review emphasizes data, employers
- Clippers CEO and Shelly Sterling to testify
- Montana judge to be censured over rape comments
- Hopkins pays $190M in pelvis exam pix settlement
- Ward scheduled for court on assault charge
- Lawmakers face long to-do list, uncertain success
- Cooler weather aids crews fighting Washington fire
- Evangelical group sets sights on secular Portland
- Theater shooting lawyers in court to discuss video
- Putin: Russia will facilitate plane investigation
- China's typhoon toll rises to 46 dead, 25 missing
- Turkey: police detained for 'spying' and wiretaps
- China ex-officials see reprisals for baring abuses
- Iraq Christians flee Mosul after militant threats
- Trains collide in South Korea; 1 dead, dozens hurt
- T-shirt typo turns heads at Mandela bicycle ride
- Court rules France responsible in toxic algae case
- UK gov't announces inquiry on Russian spy death
- Norway honors victims of 2011 terror attacks
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Don Welch to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Golf Card2014 Golf Card
FORE! Get your Golf Card now to enjoy 10 rounds of golf at great local courses for one low price! CHECK OUT THE DEAL.
Health and Beauty
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the YearVote now on your favorite candidate teacher for the Educator of the Year!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!