Tonight: Mostly clear with lows in the lower 60s and winds near calm.
Tuesday: Mostly sunny and highs again in the mid ... More...
$1.2 Million in Grants for Two Area Schools
Two Chattanooga-area schools will receive more than a million dollars in grant money.
Tennessee Gov. Bill Haslam announced Friday a total of $1,290,786 in workforce development grants for Chattanooga State Community College and the Tennessee College of Applied Technology-Chattanooga.
Chattanooga State received a total grant award of $960,550 to fund equipment for a new nuclear power plant simulation lab and an expansion of its advanced mechatronics program. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, the employment of nuclear technicians is expected to grow by 14 percent from 2010-2020.
TCAT-Chattanooga received a total grant award of $330,236 to fund necessary equipment to become a certified Snap-on institution in an additional five areas – diagnostic certification, diesel certification, undercar certification, torque certification and tool control systems certification. Graduates of the program at TCAT-Chattanooga can become employees of a variety of area companies such as Volkswagen, Peterbilt, McKee Foods, Nichols Marine and more.
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Jury to start deliberating loud music killing case
- Man struck, killed by transit train in Atlanta
- Petition seeks charges in crash that killed 7
- Person struck, killed by transit train in Atlanta
- Person struck by transit train in downtown Atlanta
- ATF agent shot in Athens, hospitalized
- 2 suspects captured after shootout with police
- Grant to help Ga. health organization bolster care
- GA lawmakers to hear testimony on medical cannabis
- Food, drink festival returns to St. Simons Island
- Teacher at elite New York school faces sex charges
- No trial for man in 2012 cruiser-crushing case
- Pennsylvania infant hit by bullet will be blind
- Mock, 1st female pilot to circle globe, dies at 88
- Accused White House intruder due in court
- Police board bus, seize cap guns from first-grader
- US companies add jobs at healthy clip in September
- Fla officer on leave after using stun gun on woman
- Judge to sentence man in tree-lighting terror plot
- Fire damages several buildings in Atlantic City
- Spaniard rescued after 12 days in Peru cave
- Ireland unit seeking secret IRA graves finds body
- Report: 5 Spanish soldiers face trial for torture
- Philippines seizes 15 paintings from Marcos family
- Bomb explodes outside Spanish town hall
- Former NATO chief opens strategic consultancy
- UK drops terrorism case for ex-Guantanamo inmate
- Islamic militants behead captured Kurds in Syria
- Spanish rescued after 12 days trapped in Peru cave
- Philippines won't send troops to unclear mission
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!