$1.2 Million in Grants for Two Area Schools
Two Chattanooga-area schools will receive more than a million dollars in grant money.
Tennessee Gov. Bill Haslam announced Friday a total of $1,290,786 in workforce development grants for Chattanooga State Community College and the Tennessee College of Applied Technology-Chattanooga.
Chattanooga State received a total grant award of $960,550 to fund equipment for a new nuclear power plant simulation lab and an expansion of its advanced mechatronics program. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, the employment of nuclear technicians is expected to grow by 14 percent from 2010-2020.
TCAT-Chattanooga received a total grant award of $330,236 to fund necessary equipment to become a certified Snap-on institution in an additional five areas – diagnostic certification, diesel certification, undercar certification, torque certification and tool control systems certification. Graduates of the program at TCAT-Chattanooga can become employees of a variety of area companies such as Volkswagen, Peterbilt, McKee Foods, Nichols Marine and more.
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Hearse and body stolen in Atlanta; police arrest suspect
- 5th man arrested on charge tied to Indiana HIV outbreak
- Man told to remove NRA hat at polls agrees to drop lawsuit
- Ga. man sentenced in robbery arranged through Craigslist
- Georgia attorney general chosen for leadership position
- GBI probing deputy-involved shooting in west Georgia
- Federal officials investigate recent fires at black churches
- Gainesville man re-elected chairman of ports authority board
- Here is the latest Georgia news from The Associated Press
- Sculptor chosen for MLK statue at Georgia Capitol
- Fight over gumbo spices leads to fatal stabbing in Florida
- 10 Things to Know for Tuesday
- Survey: Sibling punches aren't only assaults US kids face
- Swedish woman gets $18 M in sex harassment suit against boss
- Obama speaks to Cameron, Tunisian leader in attack aftermath
- Judge tosses feds' terrorism allegation against Florida imam
- Crashes in Alaska brought safety steps for tourism flights
- Survey: Confederate flag push reaches key milestone in SC
- Bird camera fans watch eagle steal osprey chicks from nest
- 'Mind blowing' flames destroy homes in Washington state
- Liberian official says corpse tests positive for Ebola
- UN extends Darfur peacekeeping force despite Sudan protest
- Suriname's leader dismisses acting speaker of Parliament
- Puerto Rico to seek debt moratorium from bondholders
- Developer of $3.5B Bahamas megaresort files for bankruptcy
- Spanish royals in Mexico on 1st state visit to Latin America
- WikiLeaks says NSA spied on French business
- Turkmenistan honors president by opening park in his name
- UN chief: Climate negotiations moving at a 'snail's pace'
- Killer in Canadian dismemberment case joins dating site
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the YearView the 2015 Tennessee Lottery Educator of the Year!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!